Headlines News :
Home » , , » Memorable US Summer Olympians in My Lifetime

Memorable US Summer Olympians in My Lifetime

Written By Unknown on Sunday, August 12, 2012 | 7:27 PM

The 2012 Summer Olympics in London are officially over.  Which of the athletes that made headlines these past few weeks will live on in our memories? I started thinking about the Olympians from Games Past whose achievements still reign in my recollections. These are the folks who managed to make a lasting impression in my lifetime (which means I'm not inlcuding the legends who made their mark before I was born, such as Jesse Owens, Cassius Clay, or Mark Spitz.)

Janet Evans - This swimmer won three gold medals in 1988 and her ever-present smile made a lasting impression.

Florence Griffith-Joyner -- "Flo-Jo" was a record-setting track-and-field star not easily forgotten.

Mia Hamm -- This soccer superstar led the United States to two gold medals and inspired many young girls to play the sport.

Michael Johnson - The man with the golden shoes was a sight to behold.

Carl Lewis - This track and field star won nine gold medals over the course of four Olympic games.

Greg Louganis - Even after hitting his head and suffering a concussion in Seoul, this great diver set the standard for victory.

Michael Phelps - How can I leave out the winningest Olympian of all time?

Mary Lou Retton - She's one of my favorites and she was only 16 years old when she won five medals at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

Those are my most memorable U.S. Summer Olympians in my lifetime.  Which ones are yours?
Share this article :

0 comments:

Speak up your mind

Tell us what you're thinking... !

Popular Posts

Recent Post

Comments