Headlines News :

Music from Children's Television

Written By Unknown on Monday, November 14, 2011 | 8:28 PM

As I watch children's shows with my young daughter and listen to her sing along with the catchy tunes, I remember the kids' shows of my own youth, the songs still etched in my brain. 

I remember Ernie singing "Rubber Ducky" and Cookie Monster singing "C is for Cookie" on Sesame Street, Paula and Carol belting out "The Hello Song," "The Story Box," and "See Ya" on The Magic Garden, and of course Fred Rogers cheering us up with "Won't You Be My Neighbor" and "It's Such a Good Feeling" on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

I can give in to nostalgia and say that they don't make kids' shows like that anymore, and maybe I might have a point.  After all, the classic Electric Company is head and shoulders above the new version in energy, creativity, performances, heart -- admit it, there's no comparison.



But I have to give credit where credit is due and I begrudgingly admit that some of the new children's shows are pretty good.  Their music sticks with the viewer too, no matter what the age.  I find myself humming "Backpack Backpack," "We Did It," and words from "The Travel Song" ("Come on, vamanos, everybody, let's go.  Come on, let's get to it, I know that we can do it") from Dora the Explorer at the most inopportune times during the day. 
Some shows have really catchy songs, like "Here We Go" from The Fresh Beat Band (originally The Jumparounds.)  Watch The Backyardigans and you will be amazed at the melodies.  In one episode alone, "A Giant Problem," I couldn't get a number of songs out of my head: "Nobody's Bigger Than a Giant," "It's Hard to Be a Wizard," "I Know a Spell," and "On Top of the World."  It's embarrassing!

Some shows, such as Yo Gabba Gabba, are annoying, but kids seem to love it.  The simplistic songs, like "Party in My Tummy" and "Get the Sillies Out" are simplistic and repetitive, and children seem to connect with them, but will they stay in their memories through adulthood like other songs from other shows?  Who knows?

Now I need to go download some modern songs from AlmostFreeMusic.com in order to get all those children's ditties out of my mind, or I'll be singing them in my sleep.
Share this article :

0 comments:

Speak up your mind

Tell us what you're thinking... !

Popular Posts

Recent Post

Comments